- April 7, 2008 - date the Policy goes into effect; applies to grants and cooperative agreements active in Fiscal Year 2008 (Oct. 1, 2007-Sept. 30, 2008) and beyond, as well as to any contracts signed on or after the effective date
- May 25, 2008 - all applications, proposals and progress reports must include the PubMed Central ID number (PMCID) when citing articles that are affected by the policy; this includes articles not only authored/co-authored by the investigator, but any papers stemming from his or her award
- As of Jan. 14, 313 journals deposit articles into PMC on behalf of authors, so if papers are published in these journals, no further action is needed
- Non-compliance is "not a factor in the evaluation of grant applications," but "may delay or prevent awarding of funds"
- Articles submitted to PMC that stem from research funded by multiple awards only need to be archived once, as more than one award funding number can be attached to the record
- NIH revised the estimated number of articles published annually stemming from NIH-funded research to 80,000 articles
If you have any questions, please contact Molly Keener at 716-4203 or mkeener [at] wfubmc.edu